Sunday, September 16, 2007

Although It Started On Friday, But..


The topic of discussion on every table in the cafeteria was common; about India Vs Pakistan cricket match in the 20-20 World Cup. Everyone had an opinion about the best possible strategy as if the blue brigade had no captain.

A footballer to the core, I hate cricket from the bottom of my heart. But when it comes to India Vs Pakistan, a craziness grips me. For me, and for billion other Indians, perhaps it is the only way India can take revenge for all the wars and numerous terrorist attacks.

I asserted "Don't worry guys; India has never lost against Pakistan in World cup. Our players are going to rip their bowling apart".

But then a friend revealed the reason for his skepticism "Man! don't forget today is Friday, और जुम्मे के दिन तो पाकिस्तान को इंडिया सपने में भी नहीं हरा सकता".

That was a beamer, and it was enough to silent me. I have never heard or seen India defeating Pakistan on a Friday. And this jinx has always hounded the Indians.

On my way to home I bought 4 cans of beer, to drink the certain Indian defeat. India started batting. With first wicket of Gambhir, I opened my first can. The bad omen was working. With every wicket that went down, I went high.

Utthappa and Dhoni played some magnificent strokes, but for me there were just fillers before the inevitable. The Pakistan bowling attack winded up the blue boys for just 141 runs, a pathetic score by any standards in this shorter version of the game.

Now it was the turn of Indians to bowl. Pakistan lost a few early wickets. With time, the difference between the balls remaining and runs required increased. At one point, when 58 runs were required for just 32 deliveries, I felt as if India had a chance. But with the omen on their side and few great shots, the green brigade reached 141 with two balls to spare, that too of Sreesanth (needlessly agressive joker).

First one was a dot ball. Forget it! On a Friday Paki's can hit a 6 even on the last ball let alone just one run. Sreesanth now bowled the last one. This time the batsmen hit to the short cover. The fielder swiftly returned the ball and before I could figure out anything else it was a run out. Yes, It was a tie!

Unbelievable! Every Indian on the screen had gone mad. I was jumping and howling like crazy, but then I stopped fearing neighbors would come over. It was already late, 1'o'clock in the night. Wait a minute... What time? That means Friday was over, it was Saturday morning. The omen had passed. The Indians were there to win and they finally did it in style with a score of 3:0. You read that right! Its not a football or a hockey score, but a cricket score.।

Although the match started on Friday, but it ended on Saturday :-)



"Chak De India"

9 comments:

A. Gupta said...

Hey, it looked to me like a thrilling suspence novel, which did a U turn in the last stages in highlighting the main point.
Reading it to me gave vicarious thrill, which I gulped down with immense interest, with increasing excitement with every line.
(Pl. see I did not know see the match or the results)

Ananda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ananda said...

Wow Man.. It somehow didn't occur to me that It's Friday.. Well at my timezone the entire match was played on friday.. but I guess the friday concept works only in subcontinent..and not in west.. But whatever it is.. INDIA WON and that's what matters..

Funny thing is India won 3-0.. a football/hockey type score.. very soon we will see a tennis score also.. in case of best of 3 finals.. 3-0, 5-4, 4-2 .. :) .. Man I am enjoying every moment of it..

Puneet said...

Abey Kapil kumar... tu hi hai desi chhora... mughe pata lag chuka hai :-)

chora ganga kinare waala

Shantanu said...

u forgot on saturday it was Ganesh Chaturthi as well ;-)

Ilamparidhi said...

Wow!......good observation (that too after the consumption of two beer)

Saturday saved the life of INDIAN COACH !!!

Pakistan strength is on Friday
India strength is on Saturday
Punnet strength is on beer :)

I really enjoyed in reading your blog......keep decorating your blog page.

Ananda said...

nahi sir.. hum kapilwa nahi hain..

He was chhora Ganga kinare wala.. I am desi chhora.. in spite of having some obvious similarities in our pseudo-names, we both are not the same!!

Ankur Agrawal said...

nicely written..now u sud try writing novel:-) looks likes a thriller!
well one suggestion..(hpe u will not mind taking)
we should always avoid mixing national issues with sports!otherwise it may color sports with politics.Remember each vote counts and yours too..
rest i really enjoyed reading!

Puneet said...

of course not!... i would never mind a suggestion.
But it is precisely the reason why Ind-Pak matches are thrillers.