Saturday, September 1, 2007

Are you an Impotent like me

It was the Saturday evening of 25th August. I reached home around 10 min past 9'o'clock, to catch the elimination results of the Gala round of Indian Idol. My favorite show on Sony entertainment channel.

I switched on my Television only to find NDTV 24x7 running. There was a breaking news of twin explosions that rocked the city of Hyderabad in the evening and around 40 people were feared dead. I had no time for details as I had already missed 10 mins of action on Sony. Not sure of the channel number I started surfing with the remote. All the news channels that I encountered in between had the same story of blasts.

At last, I reached my show but got upset to find my favorite singers Amit Paul and Chang standing in the middle of the stage. They were voted to the bottom two and one of them had to leave the competition. Finally the name was announced and the person who had to leave the competition was Chang. Of course he was not as good as Amit Paul but definitely better than the others. There were tears in the eyes of many in the audience and must have been the case with many of those watching the show on TV. The show ended with a superb departing song from Chang.

I took a deep breath and started surfing the channels again. Another news channel "AAJ TAK" reminded me of the blasts that became oblivious to me during the show. Mutilated bodies of the dead lying in the pool of blood were shown. Many people were running around to find out weather their loved ones are among the unfortunates. There were 43 casualties and around 100 got injured.

I started feeling butterflies in my stomach and a sense of guilt dawned on me since I preferred to watch a singing competetion over the news of a terrorist attack on my country. Over the years, the terrorists, with the help of the Indian government, have done their job pretty well. With every attack they were not just able to murder many Indians but also kill their compassion and sensitivity towards human sufferings. They have turned India into an impotent nation where the simple rule of demand/supply does not apply just to the commodities but also to the human lives. With the supply of Indians being the highest in the world, their value is the lowest.

Now the terrorists should target countries like U.K. where the whole nation mourned when 35 people were killed in a tunnel blasts, where people refuse to accept terror as their destiny and demand to live with honor and pride.

As far as my guilt is concerned, I don't have to worry. A couple of more explosions and it will also fade away, forever.

12 comments:

Addy V said...

here's one man with a conscience!

-Addy

Puneet said...

A conscience, which is going to die very soon.

Ananda said...

nice one man..

Shantanu said...

good one... and yesterday the flyover also collapsed, now the Govt is busy proving this to be a sabotage as well....

Trying to hide their incompetency

Ritu Kohli said...

if its not blasts its crumbling flyovers... this is sheer incompetence on part of the government, and poor ordinary citizens are facing the brunt of their stupidity...

Shantanu said...

after the flyover incident, and some people in the government trying to prove it as a sabotage... I recalled the scene from Jaane Bhi do Yaaron, where the commissioner says that its is a sabotage!!!

Shantanu

Puneet said...

I qoute again "Supply of Indians being highest in the world, their value is lowest".

Ananda said...

But hold on!! Other day I came across this piece of information which says that -- "India is going to benefit from it's huge population. India has the youngest average population in the world and can immensely benefit from it. While other countries are facing man power crunch, we are overflowing with it."

Let me add that I don't agree with this piece completely. India always had the right kind of resource. Problem has always been in taping it and taping it rightly.

Sad state of affairs :(

Puneet said...

desi chhora... very correct!
If we Indians do not value fellow Indians, why others will value us.

I like ur comments desi chora... may i know who are you??

Ananda said...

I am your friend Poddy!! :)

Puneet said...

Is this nikhil???

anurag said...

u saw that brutal beating of policeman to a thief......what has happened to us yaar?really we r loosing our compasion for human suffering